Updated: May 26, 2021
Keep the kids occupied and teach them new skills in the kitchen!
With all the time we are now spending in our homes with the whole family, you may be looking for easy activities to do that will keep the kiddies entertained. Cooking with the kids is an awesome activity as well as a great learning experience. Here are just some of the benefits and why you should get the kids into the kitchen:
- Learning - When you think about it, its kind of like a science experiment, you need to add just the right amount of ingredients for the recipe to be perfect. They can see as the ingredients they have added to the recipe make it rise, set and soften. It also teaches them about all the different food groups and what works well together. Its a fantastic way to introduce new fruits and vegetables into their diet. They are more likely to eat the new "healthy green veggie" if they have cooked it themselves and added it into a fun recipe.
- New Life Skills - Cooking is a life skill, we all need to know basic cooking skills so we can provide our body with the best nutrition possible. Teaching children how to cook will pave the foundations to early adulthood and give them the ability to cook nourishing, healthy meals with confidence. This could be the difference between them choosing fast food over a homemade, healthy meal!
- Bonding time - What a great way to spend family time prepping, cooking and eating a healthy meal together. You get to be a part of the whole process as a team. Its a fun way for the whole family to get together and communicate in a relaxed environment. Great memories are made in the kitchen and around the dinner table!
- Its Fun! - Cooking is awesome! Whether you are making your own recipe or following a recipe from a cook book, its a really enjoyable process and one that the kids will really appreciate. Its the best way to create new memories, build relationships and have fun.
So, here is the perfect little healthy treat to make at home with the kiddies!! I remember how much I loved chocolate crackles as a kid so I have made up a delish healthy alternative (the kids will not know the difference). The perfect, easy start to many more cooking activities to come in the future! No oven or sharp utensils needed for this recipe just cute little hands!
Skill Level: Super Easy Peasy | Prep 10min | Set 20 min | Makes 10 | Kid Friendly
2 1/2 Cup Puffed Rice 1/2 Cup Cacao Powder 1 Cup Shredded Coconut 1/3 Cup Coconut Oil, Melted Pinch of pink salt 2 Tablespoons of Rice Malt Syrup
1/4 Cup Choc Chips (optional to also use sprinkles, chia seeds, nuts & seeds)
1. In a Saucepan, melt the coconut oil and rice malt syrup together.
2. In a large bowl combine all the ingredients and mix using clean hands or a wooden spoon (the kids will love this) 3. Spoon mixture into patty pans and place in the fridge to set! This should only take about 30 minutes. Enjoy!